The 1st meeting of initiators on Sep. 22, 2006
- Ten initiators gathered in the Swan Room of Grand Hilton Hotel at 15:00 on Friday Sep. 22 under the necessity of establishing Genetic & Molecular Diagnosis Research Society.
- The representative of the initiators, Prof. Hyun Chan Jo and the rest initiators, Prof. Sun Hui Kim, Prof. Jong Won Kim, Prof. Ui Jong Kim, Prof. Sung Sub Park, Prof. Sun Pal Seo, Prof. Jung Han Song, and Prof. Yung Joo Cha attended this meeting.
- At this meeting, the initiators had a discussion on the necessity and the purpose of the research society and had decided to define this society as ‘Genetic & Molecular Diagnostics Study Group’ tentatively.
- It was determined to limit its members to the specialists and medical residents of laboratory medicine.
- The initiators have decided to form a society that includes the test of molecular genetics, cytogenetics, biochemical genetics, molecular microbiology.
- A symposium for the commemoration of its foundation is scheduled to be held at the clinical medicine laboratory of Seoul National University Hospital on Nov. 16.
The 2nd meeting of initiators on Nov. 7
- There was the 2nd meeting of initiators at Grand Cafe of Grand Intercontinental Hotel at 18:30 on Friday, Nov. 7.
- Prof. Hyun Chan Jo, Prof. Sun Hui Kim, Prof. Jong Won Kim, Prof. Sung Sub Park, Prof. Sun Pal Seo, Prof. Jung Han Song, and Prof. Jong Lak Choi attended this meeting.
- The Korean name of this society: 유전및분자진단연구회, English name: Genetic & Molecular Diagnostics Study Group have been determined.
- Election of executive team: Prof. Hyun Chan Jo. the representative of the initiators, is elected as president (2-year tenure) and Prof. Ui Jong Kim and Prof. Yung Joo Cha are elected as assistant administrators (1-year tenure).
The general meeting and symposium for the commemoration of foundation on Nov. 16
- Date: Thu. Nov. 16 from 14:00 to 17:00
- Place: Auditorium in the clinical medicine laboratory of Seoul National University Hospital
Initiatory statement of Genetic & Molecular Diagnostics Study Group
- As the genetics fields have come into the laboratory medicine field from the mere concern of the researchers, numerous patients who were unable to get diagnosed in the past are now able to get the diagnosis through a genetic test, therefore molecular micro biology test among clinical microbiology areas has become more and more significant. However, human genetic test is divided into extremely widespread areas such as molecular genetic test, cytogenetic test and biochemical genetic test and its nature is complex and diverse among other diagnoses of disease.
- In addition, new technologies introduced by a rapid development of genetic diagnosis technology pose problems of how to evaluate and use this in a diagnostic medical laboratory. An application of the up-to-date genetic diagnostic technologies developed in the research area to a treatment of patients requires not only technical eligibility that needs technically valid, accurate and precise evaluation of analysis of test results but also appropriate medical eligibility to provide medically valid test results. That is to say, diagnostic and therapeutic validity is required to be verified clinically. We, as an expert of laboratory medicine, will have to do our utmost for the up-to-date genetic diagnostic technologies developed through researches to be appropriately applied to a treatment of patients.
- There were also legal changes in national surrounding environment for a genetic test such as effectivation of bioethics law and inauguration of Korean Institute of Genetic Testing Evaluation and there are problems continuously arising which cannot possibly be ignored by an expert of laboratory medicine such as a prevalence of pseudo genetic tests deceiving citizens under the pretense of genetic engineering and the latest medicine. These problems cannot all be solved only by legal countermeasures and the desired goal can only be achieved by the aggressive use of academic knowledge and experiences that we all have so that the patients are able to get a
- proper genetic test. Doing so is our duty and will ultimately contribute to the improvement of the quality of not only treatment but of life.
Therefore we now desire to establish Genetic & Molecular Diagnostics Study Group to share experiences in laboratory medicine and the latest academic information on varied genetic tests and to concentrate our own academic capabilities. This Study Group will be a place to pursue an activation of academic activities and an information exchange on human genetic tests and molecular diagnosis of clinical microbiology.
- We expect a lot of participations of those who are interested in all kinds of human genetic tests and molecular diagnostics of clinical microbiology such as molecular genetics, cytogenetics and biochemical genetics.
Sun Hee Kim M.D., Ph.D. (Sungkyunkwan University), Eui-Chong Kim M.D., Ph.D. (Seoul National University),
Jong-Won Kim M.D., Ph.D. (Sungkyunkwan University), Sung Sup Park M.D., Ph.D. (Seoul National University),
Soon Pal Suh M.D., Ph.D. (Chonnam National University), Junghan Song M.D., Ph.D. (Seoul National University),
Kyungwon Lee M.D., Ph.D. (Yonsei University), Hyoun Chan Jo M.D., Ph.D. (Hallym University),
Young Joo Cha M.D., Ph.D. (Chungang University), Jin-Yeong Han M.D., Ph.D. (Dong-A University)
Symposium in 2007
- Date: Thu. Jun. 21, 2007
- Place: 6th floor, auditorium of the east wing of ASAN Medical Center
Symposium in 2008
- Date: Wed. Jul. 2, 2008
- Place: 1st floor, the main auditorium of the main building of Samsung Seoul Hospital
Symposium and study of education in 2009
- Date: From Fri. Sep. 18, 2009 to Sat. Sep. 19
- Place: ECC Lee Sam Bong Hall of Ewha Women's University
Symposium and study of education in 2010
- Date: From Fri. Jul. 16, 2010 to Sat. Jul. 17
- Place: ECC Lee Sam Bong Hall and the multipurpose hall of Ewha Women's University
Symposium and study of education in 2011
- Date: From Fri. Jul. 15, 2011 to Sat. Jul. 16
- Place: the medium-size auditorium and the main auditorium of the main building of Samsung Seoul Hospital
Inaugural assembly of The Korean Society of Genetic & Molecular Diagnosis
- Genetic & Molecular Diagnostics Study Group has raised its status to The Korean Society of Genetic & Molecular Diagnosis through an inaugural assembly at the main auditorium of Samsung Seoul Hospital on Jul. 15, 2011 for a new leap forward./li>
- Prof. Sun Hui Kim (SungKyunKwan University) has been elected as the president./li>